Thursday, March 12, 2009

In the current economic climate...

A month of job hunting, five hours a day online, at least ten
recruiters working for me and countless CV revisions has pulled up one
interview so far. I'm doing everything I can, using all my contacts,
calling all my recruiters, responding to all the ads but not much is
happening. I'm taking time to reflect on what the "current economic
climate" actually means. It means I have the opportunity to really get
to know myself through building the CV, talking to recruiters
answering questions that we should really be asking ourselves regularly:

What motivates you?
What are your strengths and weaknesses? (clichéd? yes, but have you
actually thought about yours?)
How would your friends describe you?
Describe your ideal job.
What are your goals in life?

These are tough questions that can really put things into perspective.
Think about them and all of a sudden the change of circumstances, the
reduction of pay doesn't seem to be the end of the world. I'm loving
the challenge of finding a job that I might actually enjoy. I'm loving
the challenge of feeding and transporting myself for €10 a day.

Admittedly Sydney isn't a bad place to be unemployed. After I put in
my hours searching for jobs and contacting my recruiters I either go
for a long run along the beachside clifftop between bondi and coogee
beaches or head to the beach for a few hours if reading, swimming,
thinking, appreciating and usually hanging out with mates.

Now if all this sounds a bit like a hippy has taken over sensibAL you
may be a little right. While I don't do drugs ("dope is for dopes",
right?!) and barely drink (it's expensive and I'm enjoying that smart
feeling that comes when you don't have a hangover) I have taken the
precaution of buying a campervan.

By campervan I mean of course a 1988 white Hiace van with bed in the
back. He's got two personalities, Harald and Casper II. I've yet to
pick him up but I'm sure we'll get on just fine. I said that I've taken the
precaution of buying him as if the job situation doesn't pick up I can
just find some willing travellers and take off up the coast to sunnier
climes, working in random jobs as I go.

So that's the backup plan. I feel an oxymoronical sense of calm and
adventure when I think of it. What better way to spend a year when
there simply aren't enough "proper" jobs to go around.

So don't be alarmed, I'm the same person, just a happier more content
one who's loving being challenged to make the most of life.

Hippy out,

al

No comments: